Knowing whether you need to hire a pest control company or do it yourself is not a simple question. Many variables should be considered when determining if you should take a ride to the local hardware or garden center and attempt to rid your home or outdoor living area of pests and nuisance wildlife. A do-it-yourself mindset exists in many situations. Homeowners try to manage the problem themselves and often incorrectly apply pesticides and insecticides.
Pest control companies employ trained and licensed technicians with experience in dealing with aggressive pests and wildlife. Technicians are familiar with the safety measures needed to remove pests and return the area to a clean and safe environment.
The hidden dangers of do-it-yourself pest control
There is an old tried and true saying, “you don’t know what you don’t know.” This is very truthful regarding pest control. We want to share some thoughts on the hidden dangers of do-it-yourself pest control:
- Many homeowners find a bug and kill it, thinking it was an isolated instance- that there was only one bug. It may have been, but some insects, for example, termites, are hiding in your home’s infrastructure, and by the time you see one, it may be a sign that others are active and damaging your home.
- Another hidden danger is unknown allergies. Sitting on your deck and spraying bees with bug spray seems simple enough for a Saturday picnic. But, you may not have realized that a hidden wasp nest or hive was under your deck. You may also not have known that you were allergic to bees. According to gov,
During 2000–2017, a total of 1,109 deaths from hornet, wasp, and bee stings occurred, for an annual average of 62 deaths. Deaths ranged from a low of 43 in 2001 to a high of 89 in 2017. Approximately 80% of the deaths were among males. *
- Homeowners are usually not experts at sanitation and disinfecting methods after pests have been eliminated. For example, Bats can carry diseases, including rabies which can be deadly. Their droppings, called guano, contain a fungus that causes Histoplasmosis. Mice droppings or dead mice can attract other pests and wildlife, and decaying matter spreads disease.
What should a homeowner look for when selecting a pest control service?
Do your research. Like so many industries, there are pest control services that may not obtain the proper licenses and, more importantly, the training to treat the problem safely and effectively.
- At Accurate Pest Control, we pride ourselves on customer satisfaction and the fantastic Google Reviews we receive from our customers. When looking for a pest control company, do some research and read the reviews.
- Do not be afraid to ask the company for information regarding membership in a national, state, or local pest management association. Check with the Better Business Bureau or local Chamber of Commerce for information.
- Base your decision on value, experience, and service- not on price. Cheaper is not always better.
- If you engage in an agreement or contract with a pest control company, be sure to understand the terms of the service, the process for treatments, the work required to remove, treat, and possibly repair your home.
How often do I need to hire a pest control company?
For many homeowners, the need for a pest control company arises when they come in contact with mice, ants, bees, termites, or roaches. They call a pest control company for treatment and forget about it. Sadly, many of these pests live in colonies hidden in your home, attic, or basement and are nearly impossible to remove in one treatment.
Continual or contractual pest and nuisance wildlife treatments are necessary. Homes that live in densely wooden areas, near a body of water, or perhaps are older require continuous maintenance, even during the winter months.
Don’t wait until you see the next mouse, ant, bee, termite, or cockroach. Let our technicians inspect your home or business and keep your structure healthy and free from pests and nuisance wildlife. Contact us for a free and thorough inspection and learn more about Pest control maintenance agreements.
If you hire a pest control company, are you guaranteed a pest-free home?
Take the time to understand the company’s definition of ‘guarantee’ and what it covers. Pest Control companies vary in their guarantees. Pests and nuisance wildlife and indeed a part of nature and, by definition, live all around us. Proper diligence and a sound treatment maintenance plan can mitigate the risk of returning pests and wildlife.
Take the time to work with your pest control company to understand their contracts and agreements. Together you will maintain a safe and healthy home.
Resources: * Source: National Vital Statistics System. The underlying cause of death data, 1999–2017. https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.html.