If you are like most people, just the thought of a skunk conjures up an image of strong smells and wobbling animals crossing an early morning or late-night road. If you have a dog and are prone to walking them at these times of day, you may spot a skunk or two. Keeping your dog on leash eliminates the chance of an unexpected spray!
The truth about skunks.
Believe it or not, skunks are the most non-aggressive animal you will ever come across. Yes, they have that terrible habit of releasing a really bad smell, but that is only because they are frightened. They love the nightlife but tend to be out and around in the daytime at this time of year looking for food for their young. They feed on bugs and agricultural pests as well small field mice and rats.
Fun facts about skunks.
- Fun Fact: Skunks are a pretty good-sized animal measuring 8 to 20 inches in length and on average about 12 pounds.
- Fun Fact: we all know that skunks have a stripe down their back, but did you know skunks can also have spots, 2 stripes or swirly patterns on their backs?
- Fun Fact: Skunks live about 3 years in the wild. They are traditionally nighttime food hunters and devour fruits, plants, small bugs, reptiles, and insects including honeybees! (Their thick coats prevent them from painful stings.)
- Fun Fact: The stinky spray can be propelled 8-10 feet and can last for days.
- Fun Fact: A skunk’s spray is potent enough to scare off a bear and skunks are rarely eaten aside from a large owl.
- Fun Fact: A gathering of skunks is called a surfeit.
How do you get the skunk smell off your dog?
The old wives tale about tomato juice is just that. According to the Humanesociety.org: the best solution to de-stink your pet is to Mix together:
- 1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap
- Wearing rubber gloves, wash your dog with this solution immediately after they’ve been sprayed. DO NOT get the solution in their eyes.(If you don’t have peroxide, baking soda, and liquid soap on hand, use vinegar diluted with water.)
- Rub the mixture through their fur, but don’t leave it on too long (peroxide can bleach fur). Rinse them thoroughly.
- Next, wash your dog with pet shampoo and rinse thoroughly. By now, they should be de-skunked and smelling sweet. Thoroughly towel-dry your dog, and be sure to place them in a warm, sunny room for the next couple of hours so that they don’t get chilled.
Caution: Do NOT store this mixture or make it ahead of time, as the mixture could explode if left in a bottle.
How do you get rid of skunks?
Skunks are industrious and exceptionally fine burrowers. Skunks love cozy places to sleep, although they do not hibernate.
- Remove all food sources. Make sure your garbage cans are closed and the lids secure.
- Fruit trees provide a wealth of food for skunks. Clean up dropped and decaying fallen fruit.
- Fence your yard, if possible and review doors, windows, and screens around your home. Ask us about AccuShield Services to evaluate your home structure and property to locate areas where skunks and other nuisance wildlife can gain entry. A complete evaluation is performed and reviewed with the home owner or business owner and a course of action is determined.
- Are skunks living under a structure or shed, or digging up your lawn? We offer humane trapping methods to eradicate this problem. We also offer trenching methods if they have nested underneath your house, shed, or garage.
We can help.
At Accurate Pest Control, we are licensed by the State of New York. Our entire organization including office personnel are Certified NYS Nuisance Wildlife Control Officers. We go to great lengths to protect rescued or injured wildlife working in conjunction with wildlife rehabilitation specialists for necessary and suitable care.
We specialize in 24/7 emergency response for nuisance wildlife found inside or outside your property. All technicians are prepared to remove unwanted nuisance wildlife as well as provide recommendations for further eradication or exclusion work needed to permanently rid the structure of the nuisance.
[vcex_button url=”mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org” title=”Contact us” style=”flat” align=”left” color=”blue” size=”small” target=”self” rel=”none”]I need to get rid of skunks!![/vcex_button]