What exactly is a cockroach?
Just the word cockroach makes people squirm and conjures up visions of creepy-crawly bugs. Roaches do have a reputation and once one is spotted, there are most likely more of them. How about some fun facts, if that is possible?
- Roaches have flat bodies and two pairs of wings but not all roaches can fly. Roaches are more like sprinters. If you have ever seen one, you know what we mean!
- Roaches are indiscriminate eaters. They will eat almost anything.
- Legend says they are indestructible and can withstand a nuclear blast! Not true but they have roamed the earth for hundreds of millions of years and can withstand quite a bit of radiation.
- Roaches like it hot, somewhere in the mid 70’s to 80’s so when the fall temperatures creep in, so do the roaches.
- Bump in the night- cockroaches are nocturnal and hide out in daylight.
How did I get cockroaches?
Good question. It is not because your house is dirty. Your neighbors could have them and they are quite industrious and will look for a warm place to go. They enter through small cracks, screens, or even your plumbing! They need the same things humans need: food, shelter, and warmth.
Not sure if you actually saw one or have them in your home? Look for:
- Roach droppings are often mistaken for loose dirt or coffee grounds.
- Look for signs of damage in the pantry or kitchen, i.e. chewed open packages or destruction.
- An unusual smell that lingers.
- Brown smears on walls or floors.
Will cockroaches in my house make me and my family sick?
Cockroaches are everywhere and eat anything so they can carry disease. Because they get into structures via moist wet areas, plumbing and basements, they track dirt and disease from contaminated areas, including feces. When in contact with food, that too becomes contaminated.
A cockroach infestation can lead to asthma-associated illness as well as Salmonella Typhi, a root cause of Typhoid, and Poliomyelitis, associated with Polio. Dysentery, a disease that causes severe diarrhea has also occurred in people exposed to cockroach infestation.
How can I prevent cockroaches?
Clean. Dry. Did we say clean? Yes clean. Don’t worry if you are feeling a bit anxious or overwhelmed. Our technicians will help you. We can do this together!
Food Sources- Cockroaches love food and will look for sources.
- Remove dirty dishes in the sink. Clean or put into the dishwasher.
- Do not leave plates with food on them too long on the counter.
- Eating in multiple rooms in the house spreads food debris and offers more opportunities for roaches to spread into other areas of the home.
- Do not leave open packages of food in dark cabinets and pantries.
- Take out the trash!
Entry points and hiding places– Don’t give these pests an opportunity to enter.
- Make sure windows and doors are snugly fit and close properly.
- Look for entry points where appliances plugin.
- Use caulk to fill any gaps around the bathtub and sink.
- Check drains and disposals for evidence of roaches.
- Eliminate water sources- fix any leaky pipes.
- Eliminate yard debris and keep firewood outside and far away from the home.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
We tend to think that pest control is something we can do ourselves. This is definitely not one of the times should attempt this yourself. It’s what you cannot see that hurts you. There is very rarely just one roach and if you find dead roaches, that could mean there are so many that the food sources are limited, and they are dying!
Our technicians are trained to locate the source and not just treat what the eye can see. We want to stop the infestation and keep your home or business cockroach-free.
Contact us for a free inspection and we will prepare a plan of action for removal and treatment, so cockroaches have moved out!